It is that time of year again – open enrollment for Medicare prescription drug coverage and Medicare Advantage plans. Open enrollment occurs annually from October 15 to December 7. If you are on Medicare, you have an opportunity to change your Part D Prescription Drug Plan and/or Advantage plan during this time.
In order to safely navigate through changes, the Missouri SMP wants you to be aware of the marketing guidelines for the plans. Medicare plans cannot:
- Call you if they have no prior relationship with you.
- Send emails to you if you have not agreed to receive emails from them.
- Mail or call you if you have opted out of receiving communications from them.
- Claim they come from or were sent by Medicare, Medicaid, or Social Security.
- Make uninvited visits to your home – door-to-door sales.
- Leave information such as leaflets, flyers, or door hangers on your car or at your home unless you were a “no show” for an appointment.
- Talk about other insurance products, such as life insurance annuities, during a visit or meeting about prescription drug coverage or Medicare Advantage.
- Return uninvited to your home after an earlier “no show.”
To avoid becoming the target of abuse or fraud, do not give out your Medicare information to anyone calling you on the phone or emailing you. If the callers are from Medicare or your insurance company, they would already have that information.
If you have questions, call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) or Missouri SHIP at 1-800-390-3330. To learn more or report suspected Medicare fraud, call the Missouri SMP at 1-888-515-6565.
This project was supported, in part, by the U.S. Administration for Community Living (ACL), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of a financial assistance award totaling $662,347 with 100 percent funding by ACL/HHS. The contents are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the official views of , nor an endorsement by, ACL/HHS, or the U.S. Government